About Me





Thursday, May 5, 2011

Morning Glories

I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! As you go throughout your day please remember the victims of the Alabama Tornadoes in your prayers. The rebuilding process is going to take a long time. If you would like to know how you can help, please see my previous post.

This morning started early for me, as most mornings do. Up at 4 for Bible Study and conversation with my Savior, run at 4:50, home at 5:45, shower. I just recently started doing some runs with a new girl. I say new but really I have known her for a long time, just never had the chance to run together. She had to be at work by 7 am, so we cut our run a little short this morning which meant my getting home a little early, which meant I had a little extra time which meant that I hoped back in to bed and took a little 20 minute nap! I hardly ever get to do that during the school year so it was a wonderful treat!

I have to say that I am very excited that the school year is winding down! I adore spending lazy days by the pool and letting the kiddos stay outside till 8 pm because its still light out! The flowers in our yard have been beautiful this spring and I hope to post pictures for you guys this weekend!

But, there are more important things to talk about today....pancakes! Who doesn't love a good pancake? Pancakes often get a bad rap because most are made with tons of white flour and sugar, then topped with copious amounts of butter and syrup! Now, there is not a thing wrong with those pancakes, but I have a healthier version that is kicked up with healthy ingredients and is the perfect pre or post run food! I can not remember where I got this recipe, but I do remember that the first time I made them was for Jennifer after one of our long Saturday runs while we were training for the County Music Half Marathon and we have both enjoyed them ever since. You can freeze the leftovers, then we you r are in need of one, take it out to thaw for 30minutes to an hour, then pop it in the toaster. Top with a little Earth Balance spread and pure Maple syrup or top them the way I do, pictured below.

Whole Wheat Pancakes
Makes 12-13 pancakes

1 c. whole wheat pastry flour (you can sub plain whole wheat flour)
2/3 c. almond mild (you can sub reg milk or nut milk of your choice)
1 egg (or flax egg substitute)
1 c. yogurt (I use vanilla flavored, but feel free to experiment, blueberry?)
2 tsp. stevia blend (or reg sugar)
2 tsp. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt

Combine wet ingredients, then combine dry ingredients. Or vice verse.



Mix the two together.....


Heat a griddle or non stick pan over medium heat. Spray with a generous amount of cooking spray, then pour battle by 1/4c. increments onto hot surface.


*

Flip,


Pile finished pancakes onto plate, then top with natural Peanut Butter, sliced bananas and just a drizzle of agave nectar!


Yum!

No comments: