About Me





Friday, October 24, 2008

Contentment

'Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you," ' Hebrews 13:5

I'm dwelling on this verse today. I'm asking Him to make me content with the things He has given me. I think we all as human beings get into the trap of looking around us at what everyone else has and feeling sorry for ourselves or wishing we could have what they have. But, I truly think that God gives us only what we can handle.

I want my kids to see a mom who is content with being at home and raising them right now (not that that won't change in the future, staying at home that is). I want them to see that we could afford a bigger house but that we choose to stay in this one because we don't want a bigger mortgage payment and that this house meets all of our needs. I want them to see that we could go on expensive vacations every year but that we choose to go on small trips to the beach (which they love) in order to save up for the bigger trips so that we might enjoy them more because we aren't worried about the debt it is causing us.

I want them to see that we are called to live our lives differently. That we are to be in the world, but not of the world. I want them to grow up content. And the best way I can model that is to be content.

I'm am praying that God will make my heart content with what He has given me. That he will take away my desire for "more".

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Did you just write that for me today?...cause I certaintly need to hear it more than anyone. I struggle with that more than anyone...except that we can't afford all of those things...but I want them. I always want more and am not happy with what I have. Good luck on your quest for contentment...I hope I can reach it as well:)

Carie said...

Nope JW, wrote it for me. I think we all want more, even when we can't afford it. We are all human. He knows that. But sometimes I feel like I hurt His feelings with my constant desire for more. I want Him to know that He is enough for me, that things are not important. I also wonder if He doesn't give me more because I can't be satisfied with what He has already given me.

Carie said...

Oh and JW, I don't think that you struggle with it more than anyone. We all have the same struggles. I think if someone said that they were always content with the things they had, they would be lying.

Ellen said...

I'm like JKW...your post came at just the right time for me. I need to pray the same prayer more often. Thank you for sharing that with us!

Shanna said...

I will have to print this and show it to my husband. he often needs reminding, and I do as well.
What a great post!

Lori said...

Great post. Something that everyone needs to be reminded of regularly, especially me. I just got accused by my husband this weekend of always wanting to spend money.

Capegirl said...

I truly agree. It is so easy to get caught up with the urge to buy-how many times do I look in the basement or closets and ask myself why?